1. He buys me flowers regularly.
2. He warms my always cold feet up at night.
3. He spent the first few years of his life in Singapore and developed a speech impediment. Even now, when he gets very tired or very excited, he will say his r's like w's. It's cute.
4. He hates DIY, he will do it, but hates it, and therefore isn't the greatest at it.
5. One year he lost a whole year of his life. He was adamant he was going to turn 27 that year, when I insisted he was going to be 28. He disagreed and argued with me, until he came back a few days later and told me he had realised he was going to be 28.
6. He reads comics over books.
7. He's a drummer. A mighty fine drummer. And his online nickname used to be animal.
8. He bought me my first acrylic paints and canvasses to encourage me to paint.
9. He doesn't like any Revels other than the toffee. They are my least favourite.
10. He is infinitely more patient than me.
11. I have never known him to dislike anyone, or for anyone to dislike him.
12. He is definitely the nicer of the two of us.
13. I used to describe him as Eeyore from Winnie The Pooh, whereas I am his Tigger.
14. It doesn't matter how horrendous I look he will always tell me I look beautiful.
15. I even think he believes it.
16. He spends more time brushing the dogs hair and telling her how cute she is than I do.
17. I'm pretty sure he will be (if we have children) one of those dads that braids his daughters hair.
18. He is one of the funniest people I know. (Along with my brother.)
19. He looks and sounds freakily similar to his brothers. Like, seriously, you would freak out.
20. He is definitely the hottest :)
21. He has been known to go out late at night just to get me earplugs from the store.
22. He makes a mean pancake.
23. He gladly watches me skate around a carpark a couple of evenings a week. Without complaining.
24. I have never known anyone to fall asleep so quickly. He can be talking, and then he's gone.
25. When he doesn't fall unconscious immediately, he will tickle my back till he thinks I am asleep.
26. He cleans the bathrooms.
27. I have only seen him really angry once. He threw his phone against the wall and it broke. I told him he was stupid.
28. You see how he is much nicer than me?
29. He's got smarts. And he doesn't make me feel stupid for not having the smarts.
30. He always offers me the last sweeties in a bag :)
I know you all want a Dan Frank now :)
It's the geeks 30th birthday this month. 30! I remember hearing about his 21st party! I was 17 and we were mostly conversing via the internet back then. He had a bouncy castle if I remember correctly. I always wanted a bouncy castle. 30 is kinda special. Aparently it's the new 20, only better, coz we are all supposed to know what we're doing by 30, have a job, a house, money. He's not doing so bad with those I guess. Better than me that's for sure!
Anyway. 30 is special. So special it demands a present a day until his actual birthday on the 23rd. So that's what's going on. Some shop bought, a lot of stupid, and many handmade.
Thankfully, he is a geek who is appreciative of men with bearded side partings and crochet hearts. Otherwise he would run out of gifts about 4 days into the month.
I'll try to keep up to date on the photos of the handmade bits.
Oh hai, dandelion wishes.
There are many reasons I am neglecting you this week. To name a few;
french people, birthdays, self portraits, self portraits, self portraits, costa coffee beats starbucks, but starbucks sandwiches are better, true blood, true, blood, pdf's coming out of my ears, band zines and covers, and release dates, melon sorbet, mumford and sons, trying to get everybody I know to either buy mumford and sons or watch true blood, or take self portraits.
I have lovely new tights, a front room that is half decorated, dior mascara, and a desperate longing to buy a d90. The Frenchie lives in wales now, and it is good to know we can sort things out as we always seem to do.
I've sent you a flickr video of random out take self portraits, and wish you well in your true blood abstinence. I couldn't believe it when you dared suggest giving up True Blood. You are weird for not liking it my sweet blog, but I won't hold it against you. Just you wait till season 2 comes out, dear dandelion. You will be sucked in like the rest of us.
It was good to hear of your WIP project, but I was sad to see if fall to the wayside. Maybe that is something you can try picking up again some time soon? Oh, and what about that tie-dyed fruit tea thing you were talking about?
I must dash now. Things to do, Peep Show to watch. A bed to fall heavily into.
I bid thee fare well, and I shall communicate with you again soon.
Not much love,
SO. The random generator was actually The Geekboy, who was told to choose a number between 1 and 10. He picked 4. And then decided to attempt a photo in which it looked like bloom has artfully painted the number 4.
What more can I say?
Maybe I'll have an official 'here's what i'm demanding out of 26' post later. For now, I'll leave with this, my chosen song of my 27th year.
One hand in the air for the big city,
Street lights, big dreams all looking pretty,
no place in the World that can compare,
Put your lighters in the air, everybody say yeaaahh
come on, come,
there will be no head shots. no head shots this year, i tells you!
well, maybe a couple... coz my hair isn't looking sooooo bad today.
in honour of my 26 that takes place this weekend, i am giving away one spot in mine and kim's upcoming class Mirror Mirror. it starts on Monday and runs for two weeks, monday-friday lessons.
click the link to find out more, and then leave a comment here. a random generator, otherwise known as miss zoe bloom, will pick a winner on sunday.
i have to go pick up a frenchie from swansea now!
remember remember remember.
the whole of last month passed by in a blur of mess. not good mess. the mess of life. death, and shock, and loss, and sickness, and chemo appointments for the brother, and just complete weirdness.
and this month has started off with my frequent inability to remember to breathe. or maybe it's not remembering, maybe it's just that i physically feel like i am choking sometimes. i will wake up gasping. or i will be walking somewhere and just not take that next breath, my body is so shocked by it, it takes an involuntary gasp which will make the taking the next breath even more difficult.
i'm sure this is a symptom of life. of something. of maybe possibly, insanity?
either way. i turn 26 on sunday. 26 with the worst hair cut of my life to date. well, maybe not. one time i had a perm... i might show pictures one day. or maybe not. because when me and dan were dating, and i showed him, he literally cringed and said, "oh. i don't really want to be seeing these, you look so different. it's weird."
which is always a nice thing to hear.
but the point... what was the point? the point was. i must breathe. we must all breathe. we must take one step in front of the other and take the next breath. maybe we will forget one here or there, but as long as you are able to keep walking... well, it is okay.
Happy 22, lovely Jess with a capital J.
I am glad to have you in my life. Because without you, I would be alone in my love for The Sims, Dawsons Creek, and Busted. My world would have far less cupcakes. I would laugh a little less. And I would have been a lot more alone in some of my darkest days.
I think this entry is allowed. Because there is hardly any gush about you.
And we know how much we love the gush.
Here's to another, what was it, 8 years?
Thankyou friends, for your lovely birthday wishes, texts, emails, cards. For the beautiful Orchid that was delievered to my door. For the best mascara. Ever. For chocolate and My So Called Life. For two days of glorious sunshine.
For one strawberry martini.
And some of the most magnificent cupcakes you will ever see. And you will see them Flickr followers.
I am ever so grateful. And ever so thankful. And in need of some direction on how to apply false eyelashes.
Now all please come round so we can watch Sex And The City, The Movie.
24 was pretty good.
I moved to a little Welsh village, bought a house, moved into said house, graduated uni, travelled to New York, Tennessee, and many places around the UK, made my first video, sold a gocco for a profit, made some pretty incredible friends, baked hundreds of cupcakes, saw Nizlopi play live twice, gained a furbaby, learnt to drive, dyed my hair quite alot, spent alot of hours on the phone to america, found some american 'soul sisters', watched on the sidelines as Frank changed job and got a new car, became a little more determined to live a life of secret hope and grace, taught my first online workshop thanks to the pretty special online community I happened upon, saw my first firefly, watched some pretty cool gigs, I laughed so much.
It was a good year. Kinda too much to write down. But kinda hard to top it also.
But I will try my best. And this year? This year I will write it all down.
The drinking nasty Starbucks in a nasty Embankment Starbucks on a wet and windy summers day.
Chatting with two new lovely friends in an American chain restaurant, and watching the table across the way having the biggest pieces of cheesecake delievered to them, and thinking to myself, "gosh. American's really do like big portions."
Standing in the middle of a Nizlopi gig and feeling like there is nothing more magical on earth than art created with heart and passion.
Tubs of candy floss brought back from business trips away.
Flocks of birds against a pink sunset watched from a window that would not be mine forever.
The overwhelming. And the happy. And the absurd. And the fighting so hard to remind oneself to breathe. And be. And hope.
I will write it all down.
Starting tomorrow, when 25 commences.
In the spirit of birthdays, and the gifts that I am itching to open that come along with that. I have one.
My latest TAIF is a little reveal of some of the latest things I've been creating. This is a plushy quotable, inspired by one of Kimya Dawson's albums where she quotes Hallie Geier.
It's yours if you want it :) Leave a comment. I'll pick a winner when I've finished my weekend of eating cupcakes, opening presents, burning candles, watching stuff, drinking cocktails, and wearing false eyelashes.